The Microinsurance Network publishes Annual Snapshots for 2009
The Microinsurance Network Annual Snapshots 2009 are part of the Network’s general notes series, and offers an overview of the Network in 2009 by looking at the:
- Highlights: A brief look at the main events and occasions of the Network and the Working Groups.
- Numbers: A depiction of the Network in numbers, which includes the results of a member survey.
Click here to view other notes in the series
Call for scientific proposals for Manila conference
Although the call for proposals for the 6th International Microinsurance Conference (topic 2 and 3) is closed now, we would like to highlight that proposals for the scientific track can still be submitted until 31 June 2010.
The scientific track was first launched at last year's conference in close collaboration with Center for the Economic Analysis of Risk, and based on the interest this received, it was decided to continue to encourage rigorous economic analysis of microinsurance markets.
Empirical, theoretical and policy-oriented papers are invited on topics such as:
- The failure of insurers to increase take‐up rates in some microinsurance schemes, and what can be done to improve the design and performance of other schemes.
- The design of controlled experiments to evaluate alternative microinsurance schemes.
- Effective control of adverse selection and moral hazard in microinsurance schemes.
- Impact of microinsurance on health, economic and social outcomes.
- Relationship between microinsurance and investment incentives.
- Effectiveness and sustainability of microinsurance schemes.
- Distribution mechanisms.
- Informal risk sharing mechanisms and the interplay with and transition to formal markets forcoping with risk.
- Consumer literacy and understanding with respect to concepts on insurance.
- Consumer protection in microinsurance markets.
- Relationship to microfinance programmes.
- Regulatory policy that leads to improvement in outcomes.
For more information, visit the conference website
Microinsurance Network Member Meeting 2010
The Microinsurance Network held its first member meeting in Königstein near Frankfurt, Germany from 2 to 3 June 2010 and more than 35 members from 23 organisations will attend. The aim of this meeting was to bring together the expertise from the different members to work on the challenges and issues that the microinsurance field is currently facing.
This two day meeting included Working Group meetings, strategy brainstorming sessions and workshops about crucial issues, for example, client protection, social performance, impact, and the role of PPP (Public Private Partnerships).
The outcomes will be published in the Winter edition of the Microinsurance Network’s newsletter and on this website.
Click here for the press release