The Performance Working Group contributes towards transparent, effective and efficient microinsurance services by establishing and promoting performance measurement standards.
The Performance Working Group has published the Social Performance Indicators for Microinsurance handbook, the result of a two year sector wide consensus building process, which maps out a social performance framework from which practitioners can manage their social performance.
The working group contributed to the Microinsurance Trilogy N°26 Spring edition with two articles. One on social performance in microinsurance from a general point of view and one more detailed article on the testing of the social performance indicators for microinsurance.
The working group changed its name in November 2011 to the Performance Working Group in order to broaden the scope of its activities beyond ‘performance indicators’ to ‘performance of microinsurance’, and facilitate collaborations with other initiatives.
The working group met at the Network’s member meeting in June 2012 in Königstein, Germany. Information on this meeting will be made available for members on the forum soon.
The working group, along with its partner organisations, organised in July 2012 a second workshop on social performance indicators for microinsurance with 18 practitioners from around the globe to finalise the framework. Click here for more information
In 2012, the Performance Working Group will:
- Organise three regional financial performance indicators workshops and Training of Trainers (ToT).
- Organise a workshop with practitioners to finalise the set of social performance indicators.
In November, the group changed its name to the Performance Working Group in order to expand the work scope from ‘indicators’ to ‘performance of microinsurance’.
The working group organised two regional financial performance indicators workshops, one in Ghana and one in Cameroon, which also included a Training of Trainers. An additional workshop was co-organised by the working group, which took place in Fiji.
The group also undertook the validation process for the individual social performance indicators through a survey, in depth interviews with practitioners, and two field visits.
The working group released two publications:
- Performance Indicators in Microinsurance - A Handbook for Microinsurance Practitioners (2nd Edition), written by Denis Garand and John Wipf, and published by ADA/BRS/Microinsurance Network, 2010.
- Social Performance Indicators for Microinsurance, written by Anton Simanowitz and Therese Sandmark, and published by BRS/ADA/ Microinsurance Network, 2010. This report was the result of a workshop held in Luxembourg, where practitioners from Africa, Asia and Latin America came together to define social performance indicators.
Workshops, seminars and presentations:
- The working group hosted a pre-conference seminar on Performance Indicators at the annual conference in Manila in November, 2010.
- A Performance Indicators workshop was given in Bangalore, together with the first Training of Trainers (ToT).
- The Key Financial Performance Indicators were presented in Paris, Vienna and London.
- The Social Performance Indicators were presented at the conference in Manila.
KPI - Key Financial Performance Indicators timeline:
- Three day training on financial performance indicators in Senegal and Kenya;
- One-day training in Belgium and Senegal;
- Presentations in China, Luxembourg, Egypt and Canada;
- Publication of second version of summary notes in English, French and Spanish.
- Publication of toolkit - handbook and factsheet in English, French and Spanish;
- Publication of summary note of handbook in English, French and Spanish;
- Three day training in India and Peru.
- Workshop to test key performance indicators in Luxembourg.
- Workshop to select key indicators in Luxembourg;
- Publication of the Workshop report “Performance Indicators for Microinsurance” in English, French and Spanish.
Mode of operations
The core group meets and exchanges frequently. A mode of operations to involve the larger Working Group needs to be drafted for 2010.
- Performance Indicators Initiative (Project note, 2009) (pdf)
- Performance Indicators Handbook (Publication note, 2009) (pdf)
- Performance Indicators for Microinsurance: A Handbook for Practitioners (2008) (pdf)
- Performance Indicators for Microinsurance: Summary Note (2009) (pdf)
- Performance Indicators for Microinsurance: A Handbook for Practitioners (2nd edition, 2010) (pdf)
- Social Performance Indicators for Microinsurance: Workshop Report (2010) (pdf)