The Capacity Building Working Group responds to the increased need for capacity building by compiling and developing training materials and programmes; striving towards coherent basic quality standards.
The Microinsurance Business Planning Toolkit is available and can be either downloaded or requested by contacting the Network’s secretariat. The toolkit contains a number of different components including a guide on business planning, resources for a training course, and a short introductory presentation. Additional material for trainers is also available on request.
The working group met at the Network’s member meeting in June 2012 in Königstein, Germany. Information on this meeting will be made available for members on the forum soon.
In 2012, the Capacity Building Working Group will:
1. Microinsurance tools and stocktaking
- Develop a Capacity Building Tools Inventory on the Network’s website. The searchable inventory will enable users to search for microinsurance capacity building tools such as guidelines and handbooks, training resources, case studies, surveys and much more. In order to update the tools inventory, microinsurance stakeholders are encouraged to add their tools by contacting the secretariat.
- Continue to contribute to the ILO’s Microinsurance Innovation Facility’s Microinsurance Content Map, which is a collection of around 100 documents providing information about capacity building in microinsurance.
- Publish a short note on Microinsurance Operations, which incorporates elements of the Introduction to Microinsurance manual (available to members only).
2. Support Technical Assistance (TA) institutions
Due to the rapid development of the sector, local training institutions are vital for strengthening the capacity of microinsurance providers. The working group will:
- Compile a list of local TA institutions that provide microinsurance capacity building or intend to do so in near future.
- Develop a capacity building strategy for TA institutions. This activity will be jointly carried out with different local training institutions and international organisation. The strategy should provide guidance on how to access relevant microinsurance content and how to put in place the capacity building tools, training of trainers, funding mechanisms for training activities, networking and sharing materials for more efficient capacity building.
- Cooperate with the ILO’s Microinsurance Innovation Facility on establishing ways that ILO Fellows can contribute to the microinsurance strengthening of training institutions.
- Support the organisation of Microinsurance Business Planning training courses, which were developed in 2011 by the working group.
Microinsurance business planning toolkit - Overview of the toolkit, which consists of four components:
- Microinsurance Business Planning: A brief guide – This guide contains all relevant information that should be considered when establishing a business plan in microinsurance. The guide is targeted at readers that have little experience in microinsurance or in developing a business plan. It can be combined very effectively with the training course or used on its own as a useful guide to preparing a business plan for microinsurance.
Click here to download guide
- Resources for a Microinsurance Business Planning training course (two days) – The training resources consist of presentations, case studies, hands outs and all other relevant information required to attend, or organise this workshop.
Click here to download resources for training course
- Presentation for an introductory Microinsurance Business Planning workshop (half-day) – This presentation provides a short overview of the content that will be offered during the full two-days training course.
Click here to download presentation
Contact the secretariat if you have any questions relating to these tools.
1. Microinsurance business planning toolkit and training courses
The working group published in English and Spanish a guide entitled “Business Planning for Microinsurance”, which describes the main components of a microinsurance business plan and contains all the relevant information that needs to be considered when developing a business plan (funded by the Network and GIZ).
The working group developed a two-day training course on Microinsurance Business Planning, including a ToT version, using the business planning guide as a basis (funded by GIZ).
A half-day introductory Business Planning for Microinsurance workshop was developed for strengthening the awareness of business planning at all relevant stages of microinsurance operations (funded by the Network).
Organisation of events:
- Two introductory Microinsurance Business Planning workshops were organised by the working group in Germany and Brazil (funded by the ILO’s Microinsurance Innovation Facility).
- Two Microinsurance Business Planning training courses were conducted by trainers in the Pacific regions of Fiji and Timor (funded by various donors including AusAID, UNCDF, EU, UNDP). Further roll out by other organisations will be encouraged.
2. Stocktaking of microinsurance capacity building tools
The working group collected more than 20 capacity building training tools that will be incorporated into the Capacity Building Tools Inventory.
In collaboration with the ILO’s Microinsurance Innovation Facility, the working group contributed to the Facility’s Microinsurance Content Map consisting of more than 100 articles, studies, tools, etc.
1. Training tools and material development
Joint activities of the Capacity Building and Performance working groups: Development of training courses based on the Performance Indicators toolkit consisting of separate modules for beginners and advanced microinsurance practitioners. In addition a short workshop module was designed for providing a brief overview for donors and other organisations.
On the basis of the Performance Indicator toolkit, a Training of Trainers (ToT) course was developed (funded by the GIZ and with support from ADA and BRS).
Development of an Introduction to Microinsurance manual (available for members only).
Tool Adjustment Workshop to identify general microinsurance tools and resources (funded by GIZ).
2. Conducted training courses
Conducted with the Performance Working Group, three Performance Indicators training courses and several pre-testing workshops of the toolkit in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Conducted with the Performance Working Group, ToT training courses in India and Kenya and pre-testing of the ToT training course in the Philippines. See Performance Working Group page for more information and related documents.
Identified capacity building needs via a survey and a workshop with TA institutions, consultants, microinsurance providers and donors in Manila, Philippines (report available for members only).
The Capacity Building Working Group was set up in November 2006 to acknowledge the need in training and professionnalisation of the microinsurance sector
Mode of operations
The working group will operate as follows:
- The working group collaborates with other working groups depending on the topic (e.g. the key financial performance indicators for developing the training course and the respective ToT, or with the Technology Working Group for the inventory);
- Allocation of funds for development of training courses and manuals to be assigned to microinsurance experts in collaboration with core groups of 2- 3 working group members;
- Organisation of workshops on new training resources with microinsurance practitioners and technical assistance providers;
- Peer group review of new material among group members and other microinsurance experts;
- Creation of linkages to donors and training organisations;
- Bi-annual meetings, if feasible;
- Regular updates with working group members (virtually) and occasionally exchange and discussions on the phone.